Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Date Day

Happy Valentines Day!
So Andrew and I didn't do anything today because I had to babysit a little cutie but we did have an adventure yesterday!
I decided to drag Andrew to the Torpedo Factory Art Center in Old Town Alexandria (right on the waterfront). The Art Center is a cool place, it's three floors each filled to the brim with studios and even a school on the 2nd floor. I wasn't sure how big the school really was because it was at the far end of the 2nd floor and it didn't look like it occupied a lot of space.
On the website, it said there were 82 artist studios and even though we looked through a lot, its very surprising to know there were 82 studios filled with artist's works. Some of their pieces were expensive, like $1000+ but we did see some ceramic pieces for $20 or so. Each studio featured a different artists work (sometimes there were 3 artists to a studio, some had single artists residing it) and all doors were open to the public to observe each piece. I was a little intimidated by just walking into a room and the artist just sitting there doing whatever but each room did have huge windows so whenever I felt nervous, I just walked past it and observed from the outside.
The first room Andrew and I went into was a 'Valentine Gallery'. There were little 8x10 pieces made by artists in the Art Center, each having to do with love.
What made the room cooler though was this little piece.



What I wrote about Andrew. I couldn't think of something cool to write.
Andrews love note to me. <3

How cool huh? I had fun with this and I'm sure lots of other people did too. 
After that we just browsed a lot of studios. Of course Andrew and I weren't going to buy anything but it was really nice just looking at different people's works. 





After looking through the first floor, we went outside because Andrew saw a sign that said arcade. We didn't see an arcade but we did see a frozen yogurt shop.


It was like other frozen yogurt shops. Self-serve, had like 6 or 8 different yogurt tastes. Not that many toppings like Yogi Berry but decent amount. They had lechee which I liked because I almost never see it. The only problem I had was that it was 49 cents per ounce. I had went to another frozen yogurt shop in Alexandria and it was 32 or 39 cents per ounce so it was kind of disappointing on my wallet. The owner is really nice though so the service there would make me visit the shop again.

Cute fishies :)







A lot of people had signs up like 'No pictures please!' so I didn't take pics of the artists work.



The view outside. Some rooms faced the waterfront so all those people occupying it had a nice view!!!




When we were on our way out, we found a giant chalk wall. There was pieces of chalk on both sides of the piece so of course, I grabbed some and decided to draw.


I thought the ceiling looked really cool so I took a pic :)




After the Art Center, Andrew and I decided to grab some lunch because he got really hungry. I wasn't too hungry but I was cold so I got the udon noodles in miso soup. It was a lot better than I expected it to be, I kind of thought it was going to be bland but there was enough flavor in it. I did add hot sauce in it so maybe that helped. Andrew got the spicy tuna rolls with nigiri. Yum yum!!!!!
All in all, it was a fun day with my significant other.


No comments:

Post a Comment